Sunday, May 22, 2005

New Understandings!

Over the weekend, I came in direct contact with the Evangelical movement in a way I never thought possible. The Witch Wars Defense manual awakened a lot of feelings within me, a sort of cleansing clearing of old thoughts and making way for new realities. Then I got to see a draft copy of the Devil Came to Hoopeston, and while it is not distributable (I have nothing to do with it at all, it's a doctoral students project), was very important. I saw myself reflected within it as Ed the Pagan. I saw why I was seen as such a threat to the community of Hoopeston. It was an awakening of a level of understanding.

The same day I received a copy of Business Week, and it's cover story is Evangelical America, Big Business. Explosive Politics. It discusses amazing megachurches and planting 1800 new churches in the next year. Those megachurches and small planted churches, are being tailored closer and closer to a marketing ideal. Mass-customization of the Central Christian Message. Blam....I get hit again. Another understanding another lesson.

The Christians are vying to make their religion equal being an American. If you are not Christian you can't be a real American. The Evangelical movement is taking the whole concept of America Democracy and claiming it as their very own system. It is their spiritual separation system, based on religion instead of sex, color, and sexual persuasion. They believe they can defend this and make this restored to the central community. Not only do they think they can, the have the plans and structures to do so. Can any of us talk about planting 1800 covens or circles or study groups? Can any of us talk even about 100? I think we will add another 20 ourselves, that's it.

Restoration of Evangelical America, where politics and faith are not separate, but strangely in tune, because everyone else is as Christian as you are. They are fighting to become the central influence in society and that means they need to fight as hard as they can for at least one more generation. Another twelve years, and I think they can have us all. I think they re buying key influencer systems that will feed this material to an ever increasing number of Evangelical Christians.

People are making claims that I am commercializing Wicca, spreading it too far, and making it too public. Okay, so would you want to be a Pagan in any of the new 1800 church planting zones with no support. I am doing my best, and I am barely reaching any of our people really. I feel like I have barely touched the ability and depth of our community.

But a Culture War and possibly deeper has begun, and we are targets regardless of how we feel. Look to our Constitution for the primary answer....it's our only choice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home